Student pages are really useful for keeping track of important facts and details. Contact numbers, homerooms, email addresses, and biographical information are all contained within these pages.
These helpful fields are called "attribute types" in Schoolrunner (or "attrs" for short). If you want to add, edit, or remove any of these attributes from student pages, visit the Configure page and look for the link in the "People" section. (If you don't see the "Student Attribute Types" link, ensure that you have the proper permission.)
Student Attribute Page Orientation
The Edit Student Attributes page lists out all current attributes that can be displayed on a student page. You'll see several columns:
- Name – The title, or display name of the attribute (Birthday, Bus Stop, Father Cell Phone, etc.).
- Attribute Key – The exact name of the corresponding field in your SIS (i.e. "bus_stop_location" could be the attribute key for Bus Stop).
- Display Group – The section in which the attribute should display. In the above screenshot, there are two sections/display groups: "Student" and "Home". (Note: You may see some attributes that don't have a value in "Display Group". These are hardcoded to appear in a certain display group; however, you can still add them into a different display group, which will duplicate them.)
- Schoolrunner Managed – Indicates whether this attribute is synced in from your SIS, or if this attribute was created and is managed entirely within Schoolrunner. More on managing attributes in Schoolrunner here.
- All Schools – Indicates whether this attribute is displayed across all schools in your network (if applicable) or just the current school you're logged into.
- Slips – Indicates whether this attribute should be displayed on student slips. More on that here.
- Report Cards – Indicates whether this attribute should be displayed on report cards. More on that here.
- Mobile – Indicates whether this attribute should be shown on mobile student profile pages. More on that here.
The search box at the top of the attributes list will scan for attribute names, as listed in the first column. Many attributes can be grabbed with your cursor and reordered. The page will save automatically once you release the attribute in its new location. Note, however, that some attributes are hardcoded to appear in certain places: basic student information such as "Name", "Homeroom", "Birthday", etc. will keep their order in the "Student" display group no matter what; the last two attributes in the "Student" display group will always be student numbers; student contacts and phone numbers will always appear at the top of the "Home" display group; you may notice a few other hardcoded attribute positions.
Each attribute also has a gear with three options that allow you to manipulate it: "Edit", "Duplicate", and "Delete".
Manipulating Student Attributes
When you add, edit, or duplicate a student attribute, you'll see the following screen. It will be blank when you add a new attribute, and it will be populated with the values of the attribute you select if you choose to edit or duplicate an attribute.
- Name – The title or display name of the attribute.
- Attribute Key – The name of the corresponding field in your SIS. Do not change this if the attribute is currently managed and synced through your SIS.
- Active – Determines whether or not the attribute is visible on student pages (inactive attributes are grayed out and hidden by default on the Student Attributes page).
- Display Group – The section of the student page in which the attribute should appear. (If you are adding contact fields, leave this field blank.) Use the "Alerts" option if you want to highlight something important for teachers.
- Value Type – A list of your existing decode types, in addition to a Yes/No option.
- Default Value – A default decode to appear for this attribute (use the numerical code).
- Hide Default Value – Determines whether or not the default decode (#6) displays on student pages. (A default of "0" will not display.)
- All Schools – Determines if this attribute displays for all schools in your network (if applicable) or just the school you're logged into.
- Permission Required – Determines if this attribute is visible on student pages to all users or only to users with the selected permission.
- Search Page Order – Student attributes can appear as filters in the second half of the filter menu, between "Lunch Status" and "Active". This determines the position, if any, of this attribute on the Groups page's list of filters. Make sure the correct value type (#5) is configured. (Hint: use multiples of 1,000 as search order values to ensure it's easy to insert attributes in between others without having to reassign the search order values for the other attributes.
- Show on Slips – Determines whether or not this is displayed on student slips, along with any other attributes with this flag. Use this selectively (to avoid clutter) for things you want parents and students to see.
- Show on Report Cards – Determines whether or not this is listed on student report cards, under a student's name and grade level. Use this selectively (to avoid clutter) for things you want parents and students to see.
- Show on Mobile – Determines whether this attribute will show up by default in the Schoolrunner mobile app for your staff (assuming a student has an entry for this attribute). Individuals can choose to hide attributes with this setting flagged, but this setting allows you to configure a starting list of attributes that people see on student profiles on the mobile app.